Thursday, June 24, 2010

Pumpkins

There are a few plants I just absolutely love to watch grow... Dahlias, and squash are one of my most favorite plants to watch grow.

Especially pumpkins.

I love watching the first two leaves emerge from the rich soil. When the first vine shoots out is probably one of the top three things I love about watching a pumpkin grow. The second part I love is when the pumpkin turns color - from green to orange.

My most favorite part of growing pumpkins is when a pumpkin grows - from pollination to the final green formation.

For some reason I feel a sense of calm seep through me when I watch a pumpkin grow. Simplicity.

Each pumpkin is different, like a snow flake. My sister (Auntie Ellen) loves the pumpkins with personality. She has come home from pumpkin patches with the best shapes. She is tells me something like - "I pick the pumpkin no one else wants."

My fabulous husband made me a pumpkin patch a few months ago.

I planted three different types of pumpkin seeds, but then I realized I REALLY needed to see leaves... So I got one Cinderella pumpkin start from good ol' Portal Way Farm and Garden (PWF&G) in Ferndale, WA. In the end I have LOTS of pumpkin plants (plus some mixed gourds - more to that later ;0)...).

I am definitely no pro at growing pumpkins, but I sure do love it! Every year I learn something new. The first year I had beginner's luck... The second year another year of beginner's luck with a mix of trying new things like cutting the vine after the first pumpkin, so all the energy goes to one... The third year - no pumpkins - lots of vines and NO pumpkins... I came to the realization that it was the way we watered it - more to come on that one...

Now I need to learn something new. Unfortunately, I have no more beginner's luck, might actually need to learn how to grow pumpkins. Most of my pumpkin leaves have brown spots on them and have wither, so tomorrow I am going to take a picture (or two) and ask someone at PWF&G or Bakerview Nursery in Bellingham, WA.

Maybe I have burnt them with fertilizer and/or rich compost? Maybe it is some disease or infestation? I have read about the squash bug or something like that...

I will figure it out and keep everyone updated!

Ta Ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment