Sunday, September 26, 2010

Chick then... Rooster? or Hen?

My big black roosters are growing up fast and everyone is crowing in the hen house (um... the rooster house).  Each rooster has his own crow and to tell you the true I am fully enjoying hearing them through out the day.

The Rhode Island Red (Cook #2) was starting to looking like it might be a rooster - the comb was huge and starting to flop over and her beard was a lot bigger than Cooks...  Being my escape artist, the darn thing kept getting into the other area, so I decided to make an area for just this hen or rooster.

Last week I headed out to the hen house to check on everyone and grab the eggs for the day.  I was in the process of grabbing some food for everyone when in the corner of my eye I saw a TON of eggs!  7 to be exact!  I just stood there pretty dumb founded until I realized that my little Cook #2 was a Hen - Yippee!!! And she laid 7 eggs in 24 hours!!!  She had made a nest in the bail of straw, which is in her area.  I felt like I could pick her up and hug her, but I wasn't in the mood for running around trying to grab her, so I wait till she was roosting later that night.

Ever since that day, she has laid at least an egg a day (sometimes 2!) - even better than Singer.  Here is the one I found yesterday and here is my new producer:




Now for a name...  Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. oh, I don't know... I kind of like Cook #2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cook #2 is sure sticking. I am pretty sure even if I change the name I don't think it will stick ;0)

    ReplyDelete