Monday, September 27, 2010

Two Naps or One?

Yesterday was a one nap day.  Not because I scheduled it like that... 

William had one nap, because he refused to take his second nap of the day.  He woke from his first nap at 9:30 am (he gets up at 5 or 5:30 am).  From 9:30 am to 5:30 pm he was awake.  He was a pretty good sport until about 5 pm when he completely broke down into a part screaming / part gasping fit. He was in his crib for about 2 -3 hours playing. 

Today we are on track for another one nap day... Right now he is playing in his crib with a few bits of whining here and there.  He has been doing this for about 1 hour.  He refuses me to rock him to sleep, which usually works when he is too tired to fall asleep on his own.

So when does a baby go from two to one nap a day??  I think it is too early for him, but his second nap of the day has become a shorter nap - 30 minutes or so.  Or not at all - yesterday.  From what I have read this is one of the first signs that William might be beginning the transition.  I have also read that this transition can take a few months and during the transition he will go from 2 naps to 1 nap to 2 naps, etc.  When he made the transition from 3 naps to 2 naps I recall (really was it that long ago that "I recall"?) the back and forth for a few months till he was on a solid 2 naps a day schedule.

I love my two one and a half hour long naps.  I can get things done around the house, plus I can be a little bit more flexible.  We will see.  I will try a one nap day and see what happens.  Another option is to move around the 2 naps a day schedule...

We will see. 

And he finally sleeps - two naps today!  Thank goodness!!! Or maybe not... I spoke too soon!

2 comments:

  1. Ugh we are doing this song and dance at our house too. So frustrating. Nolie still nurses to sleep and it seems like five days out of seven she takes two naps (one good one and one not so great) but I don't know if this is an actual 'transition' or just the 9 month sleep regression (come late). This stuff is so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep Autumn - very frustrating! Maybe a little movement in his schedule will make a difference... Hopefully ;0)

    ReplyDelete