Saturday, July 24, 2010

Confession #1

I confess:

I feel like I am not a good person

My husband, my sister-in-law (best friend since middle school) and my therapist (who surprised me when she said this) say, "What? Why do you think that???"

I keep wondering... Why do I feel like this? My husband just asked me again, "Why?" My answer to him surprised even me - "because I feel like everyone around me is not happy with me."

"Why do I feel like everyone is not happy with me" - I ask myself...

Well I have to figure this all out, because it eats at me. I need to gut myself out to figure out why and what can make me a "good person."

How does one do this?

One might say - "Oh my, this lady has no confidence" This is not the case... I have been a very confident person since as long as I can remember... There was a time in my young life that I could have taken the "other" fork in the road to less confidence - thank goodness for my VERY strong mother who made sure I made the right choice when I was WAY too young to make the decision for myself.

That being said, I need to first define what a "good person" is in my opinion (I have a feeling this might change as I go on this journey...):

  1. Takes care of him/herself
  2. Thoughtfulness
  3. Goes out of him/her way for others
Flat out - I don't take care of myself. I am exhausted. I don't exercise on a regular basis. I wish I could eat better. I would LOVE to sleep more (but I sure do love my time after my little man goes to sleep at night...). I should drink more water and less beverages that dehydrate my body. I need to get the house and my life organized.

In the end - I am selfish. I feel like, other than my son, I put myself first.

Fear of judgement blocks me from going out of my way for the people I care the most about, which hurts me the most in the end and makes me feel like a horrible person. Either I feel like I do too much when others don't want it or I don't do enough when others need me. I constantly second guess myself - oh wow! This is were my confidence lacks... And I think I might have a few reasons behind why I feel like this. Later on this one - I am beginning to realize why this might be the case.

I feel extremely overwhelmed by how I feel, but these last couple of days have opened my eyes to realizing I NEED to figure out why "I feel like I am not a good person" and fix it (or at least work on it...).

Here I go...

3 comments:

  1. you ARE a good person... all the things that you listed above you do; except taking care of yourself. But who, as a mother really does? I sure as heck can tell you I don't! Don't get down on yourself; I think I speak for all who know you when I say you are there for everyone you know in all times, joy and sorrow. And remember, when you're doing your 'mom thing' to your friends and family; the thing we all love :) that if someone doesn't necessarily acknowledge your 'being there' doesn't mean it is not GREATLY appreciated :) we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you my sister. You are my inspiration. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Ellen! Erin, you are there for your friends...no matter what the situation may be! I always know I can depend on you. Always. And without a doubt. I know we all have those moments in life, myself included, where we second guess ourselves, thinking we're making the wrong decisions and being a bad friend when all we really want to do is make everyone around us happy; a task that just isn't possible in every situation. I 100% understand how you feel and trust me, darling, you ARE a good person...a GREAT person, in fact. Whenever you question this, read these comments. And know that as you are always there for me, I am always here for you. Always. LOVE YOU!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete