Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Confession #2

I confess:

I watch too much T.V.

My day usually begins around 5:30 am. While my young child eats, I make coffee and turn on King 5 News. This begins my full day of T.V...

King 5, The Today Show, Live with Regis and Kelly, The View, The Docs, All My Children (watched this since I was in the 4th grade...), Days of our Lives (watched this since I was 12), Dr. Phil or an update on the local news, Ellen, Oprah, King 5 news, Nightly News, King 5 news (again), ET, the Insider, and lastly the Primetime shows that might go on till 11 or when we fall asleep - Ugh!!!

It is embarrassing to admit it, but there I confess: I watch too much T.V.! So much I am pretty sure I just watched my T.V. life flash in front of me when I listed all these shows.

Now lets dig the hole EVEN deeper... How many hours is this? 5:30 am to 10:30 pm = 17 hours of T.V. a day - that is 85 hours a week (usually only watch T.V. like this during the week - so 5 days). I would say over the weekend we watch about 4 hours each day - usually just the news... So then that makes the grand total to be 93 hours of T.V. a week! Now the math in me is breaking out... There are 168 hours in a week.

Therefore in one week I watch T.V. 55% of the time!!! Wow that makes me absolutely sick!

Oh the news:

The funny thing with the news for me is - I love watching it. But it doesn't stop at just watching it, for some reason I just can't get enough of it, so I pull the news up on the computer while I am watching the news, first CNN.com, then the Bellingham Herald and lastly MSNBC.com. OH can't forget the trending on Yahoo.com - kind of addicting... On Bellingham Herald, I get the local news, check the obituaries and lastly check the Whatcom County Jail Bookings - why??? Why do I over stimulate myself with other people's news???

This is the first thing I NEED to change about myself. Stop watching SO much T.V...

My Plan - Blackout:
  1. Turn the T.V. completely off for one full week (might be a little difficult since my wonderful husband "has" to fall asleep with the T.V. on... So I will say it is okay to watch movies) - Aug 1st will be the first day of my full week without T.V. - Would anyone like to join me?
  2. During this time I will find other activities to fill my time, from writing in my journal, much needed house organizing, cooking, baking, canning, gardening, playing with William, reading, naps, exercise, swimming, walking with friends.
  3. The second week I will reintroduce only T.V. shows I REALLY want to watch, such as Nightly News. I will only watch T.V. when William is asleep.
  4. The only way I will get my news during my Blackout week is via the computer. But only limited to 15 minutes a day.
This might be hard and I might breakdown - NOPE I will not breakdown! I will not have it! So I need a plan if the darn T.V. starts calling my name in a longing tone. If this happens - out the door I go! Rain or shine. Away from my life long companion, so I can't hear his poor, pitiful voice calling for my attention!

So here I go.. My first step on being a better person.




2 comments:

  1. Damn.... that IS a lot of television!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the days when the TV was on constantly--but are you really sitting to watch it or is it keeping you company? I found it was company. Geez...those character from AMC and Days are your friends. You've known them all your life! You will learn to LOVE having the TV off and playing with your little man. I'm proud of you for taking this challenge. Oh, and if Oprah has a 'good' topic...DVR for later.

    ReplyDelete