Friday, August 27, 2010

50 lbs of Pickling Cucumbers...

What does one do with 50 pounds of pickling cucumbers??

Just a few jars.

You could make Kosher Dill Pickles, Bread and Butter pickles, Hot Kosher Dill Pickles and Mustard Pickles... You could mix it up a bit and use the same recipe, but use white vinegar instead of cider vinegar.  How about doing a batch of whole pickles and the next half them??   How about giving 12 pounds of cucumbers away?  In the end remember your feet and lower back need a massage and time to recuperate...  

About one month ago I called a local farm to see if they had pickling cucumbers available.  The lady over the phone told me, "not yet, but in a few weeks they will be ready."  So I ordered two 25 boxes of cucumbers, thinking that 50 pounds wasn't too much.  Oh boy was I wrong!!!

In the end, my book project went out the door when I got my phone call from the farm I ordered them from.  My project and many other things have been on the back burner and I will be starting on my book project on Sunday, Aug 29 - take two.

I haven't been too lazy - other than making 51 pints and 7 quarts of pickling products - I have done some small stuff that makes me smile as I open my pantry and other cupboards in my home.

Clutter - you are moving out!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh! Post your pickle recipe please, I just got some Cucumbers in our CSA box and I need to get them pickling ASAP. Your blog is lovely and I am pretty sure I happened across it awhile ago! I will add it to my reader now, can't wait to follow along with your ranch adventures.

    ReplyDelete