Monday, August 16, 2010

Confession #5: Clutter, Clutter, Clutter


I confess:

We have TOO much stuff and it drives me crazy!

Paperwork to be filed.  So many books they don't all fit on the bookshelf.  Pictures and masks that need to be hung up or taken to Goodwill.  An old computer I need to download files and recycle.  A box full of pictures and CDs of photos.  A file cabinet that needs to be emptied and taken away.  Baby stuff not using.  A freezer full of food we need to use.  Baby proofing doors, corners, etc.  Kitchen supplies unorganized.  Kitchen cabinets that need to be gutted.  A hallway full of stuff for the kitchen.  An unorganized pantry, which is full of food.  Wires that need to be tossed or labeled.

Really, I could go on and this is only the inside of the house.  The outside is it's own little world of crazy!

This is very tough for me to do, but here is what a small potion of what I am talking about looks like:

Hallway: I organized this the other day and it looks WAY better!! My husband really wants to hang shelves.

Bookshelf: Yeah the boxes near it are FULL of books...

I am speechless...
I decided to show the worst.  What is a confession if you can't just throw the worst part out for the world to see? 

The room that is in the last two photos was turned into a fabulous room - thanks to my spectacular in-laws, but instead has been turned into what Auntie Ellen and Nana call, the "Storage Room."  I hear that phrase and it makes me sick (and overwhelmed)!  This room was NOT made to be a "Storage Room!"  And I need to change this ASAP!!! 

I have a plan - I will not bore you with all the steps since this would take forever to list - ugh!

The general plan is

  • Work on the stuff my husband will need to help me with, like hang pictures, move large items, etc as we go and when he has time.  
  • I will also tackle small steps myself, like organize a cupboard in the kitchen, go through expired baking stuff, etc.
  • The big stuff I will be breaking them down into weeks, for example:  Books.  I am going to go though all the books when little man sleeps and will pack them in my car as the week goes.  On Saturday I will take the books to Village Books to exchange as many as possible for in store credit. 

My list is long and I am expecting this to take about one month. 

My goal in the end is to have:
  • Cleared out "Storage Room," so my husband and I can make the room into what we have always envisioned it to be
  • Organized closets, kitchen, hallway and pantry 
  • No more clutter!

This week: I am going to do the book task and will schedule a day or two with my husband to get things done where I his help.

Lets get started!!!

2 comments:

  1. ha ha... the storage room :) Well, it sounds like you have a plan to un-storage it! Go for it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like the list of things to do is never ending, isn't it? Good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete